Friday, November 22, 2013

Robert Humphries' Warrior Creed

The Warrior's Creed

Wherever I walk, 
everyone is a little safer because I am there.

Wherever I am,
anyone in need has a friend. 

Whenever I return home,
everyone is happy I am there.


Sometimes, I feel the need to remind myself of this.  Jack Hoban's account about how this creed came about is worth reading -- and I identify with it all too much and all too often.

For those of us who choose professions or lifestyles where we deal with violence honestly and realistically -- we have a responsibility not to inflict that on those around us.  If we're not careful, it's very easy for us to justify being complete assholes -- to become a cancer to those around us.  That may mean staying away long to decompress.  It may mean simply manning up, and handling our business -- and keeping it to ourselves.  

Along a related line, I'm due to reread Kevin Gilmartin's book, Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement.  While a lot if it is aimed at cops -- there's definitely value in it for a lot of people in stressful professions and places in their lives. Dr. Gilmartin is a psychologist and a (retired) cop.  He knows what he's talking about.


2 comments:

  1. I would be interested in making a "longji rope", but I cannot find a description or picture. Any assistance will be appreciated. Respectfully, John

    ReplyDelete